Monday, August 20, 2012

Fixing Asus Transformer TF101 Black-Screen Issue

Fixing Asus Transformer TF101 Black-Screen Issue


Seems a few folks have suffered from 'black screen' issues on the original ASUS TF101 tablet.  Some of those might be to do with bricking your tablet during a firmware upgrade, but this case it was a drop like a few others I have seen.  Since I bought the thing around a year ago of course I don't have the receipt - more junk just cluttering up the house!  So naturally they wanted around Y30,000 Japanese Yen to fix it - more than I paid in the first place for it I think!

Fix turned out to be easy, however I think the chances of turning your already non-very useful but working tablet into a door stop are pretty good if you have no idea what you are doing or have never done this before.


Remove screws at the bottom of the tablet, then VERY CAREFULLY 
 push the bevel forward and out and it will easily snap off.



 If any step is going to be the end of your tablet the one above may very well be it.  The bevel's small clips are quite likely to snap so don't force it.  I found inserting thin toothpicks and teasing at it over the space of an hour got me to where I needed to be.  You can see one of those small clips on the bottom left of the screw hole in the photo above.


Remove four corner screws holding on the back plastic cover




Once you unscrew the back plate using the four large screws you will see the Display Cable/Connector (RED ARROW)


Re-seat the display connector sitting under the power connectors from battery. There is some sticky tape holding it all down.
Reverse these steps to fit it all back together and bingo your tablet will either be totally shafted or in spanking new working order like mine.


16 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for posting this! I was just about to ditch mine and I decided to give this a try and it worked perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats awesome, you are very welcome.

      I am glad it helped someone else. I dropped mine from the edge of my bed when I fell asleep reading, how about you?

      Delete
  2. Where are you supposed to pry it open from. I have already cracked the screen after removing the screws and attempting to pry it open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG9gEYRALtU

      Delete
  3. I tried this :( no luck!!! it dosen't seem to be the gold connector. is there anywhere else i should be fiddling around with. its driving me insane that it can just stop for no reason :( someone plz help me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to test my next fix which is "replacing the capacitors in the back light power supply".
      Temporarily you can try attaching the keyboard and turning down the brightness to its lowest setting.
      On reboot do you briefly see the "Asus Logo"?

      Delete
  4. 1000 thank you. Worked for me this morning !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much!!! My kid threw it and it stopped working - did a google search, followed your brilliant instruction, and Voila!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Problem: ASUS tablet tf101 turned red screen always.
    Thanks for your solution, I have tried..it's works perfectly...Its back to normal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you very much, it worked like a charm, but I found 6 more little screws that must be unscrewed either in the camera side and bottom side, Be aware

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your help. I didn't realize it was something loose. While reading this I decided to hit the side of the tablet with my hand and it fixed it. No more red for now. Haha thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect solution (once I realized the red arrow was pointing at the gold connector beneath the black wrapped wires...I should have read closer). :) Thank you very much!! Another point for future folks finding and using this, REMOVE THE SD CARD IF YOU HAVE IT IN THERE! I didn't, and when I was putting it back together I snapped 2 or 3 millimeters off the end of the SD card that was sticking out. Whoops! I definitely should have known better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its crazy thinking but it really works. I also was having the same problem wit my tablet thank u so much fkr that great idea

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have opened mine up, but the back/inside looks NOTHING like this. I finally got the white light to come on and stay on, but still black screen. Help??? Suggestions???

    ReplyDelete